PURE exists to support and assure a high quality public education for all children by informing parents about education issues and parents’ rights, bringing parents into the decision making process, empowering parents in their role as advocates for their children, and assisting them in their interactions within the school system.
Some of PURE’s recent accomplishments:
- We co-founded a national network of parents, called Parents Across America, which is giving parents a voice in the national discussion of education policy.
- Our discrimination complaint against the Chicago Public School’s student promotion policy is now being investigated by the US Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights.
- Our small schools LSC case is now on appeal.
- We have strongly challenged CPS’s school closing and Renaissance 2010 activities including preparing and distributing hard-hitting, myth-busting information about Renaissance 2010 schools through our blog, PURE Thoughts, and our report, “Public Accountability and Renaissance 2010,” which found that the majority of Chicago’s charter school violated the state Freedom of Information Act and Open Meetings Act, and did not have required governance boards.
- PURE’s Wanda Hopkins and Julie Woestehoff have been invited speakers in Los Angeles, Washington, D.C., and New York City on the topic of mayoral control of the schools.
- Our web site receives thousands of visitors a day. PURE’s blog, PURE Thoughts, is regularly referenced in national and local blogs.
While there are other groups working to improve public schools, PURE has a special role in focusing on issues from the parents’ point of view. PURE’s Board of Directors, membership of nearly 800, staff, and constituency are multiracial, multi-cultural, and economically diverse.
More PURE history here.